Helldivers has been my PC game of choice lately, so I would love to get the opportunity to write more on it on my blog. I will try to create posts that will highlight the games I play and some issues or really anything interesting I come across in these sessions. Maybe you guys can help me out or roll in the great gaming memories with me too, who knows.
In Helldivers, you are a soldier tasked with killing different enemy types. There are different missions, but the main ones consist of exploring unique worlds, weapons and stratagems all set up. You can find samples in these worlds. But another mission type is the famous retaliatory strike, where there is no in-game environment to explore and no samples to pick up; it is just a relatively small arena where you and up to 3 other players have to survive and kill as many enemies as you possibly can, limited to just your weapons and stratagems, with no ammunition drops placed for you.
What makes this extremely hard is really the spacing. For the first 100 or so kills (the objective is usually to kill up to 250 or 275 enemies), it seems relatively easy. You kill the weakest of that enemy type and in most cases, are really survivable. From that point on, though, it gets much harder, as the tanks like the Brood Commander for the Bugs start spawning. More medium-range infantry start showing up as well, and in numbers, these guys are hard to knock out. What frustrates me the most is how overwhelming it can all be to fight them. The medium and armored enemies really take some firepower and usually calling in stratagems to defeat them. Meanwhile, even that is hard to do because you have the smaller enemy types swarming your every direction.
What I try to do works for the most part. I have a “crowd-control” setup where my character’s stratagems are piled up with devices that will either slow down enemies or take a lot of them out at the same time so my killing isn’t based solely on my firepower. Some things I include (note you can only choose 4 of these):
- Slowing specs: I don’t know exactly what these are called, but basically you can call it in and it spawns in an radius of slowing material so enemies aren’t swarming you so quickly. Plus there are unlimited uses so there’s that.
- Fire stratagem: This one is just as useful, but there are no slowing capabilities. It damages a lot of enemies, though.
- Tesla tower: The Tesla was extremely hard to get, but it’s worth it. Basically, it shocks anyone within its relatively large circle to help with crowd control.
- Any of the bombs: You can use basically any one of them here, as they are all similar. Look for some that are armor-piercing though, as that is what I usually use to get rid of tanks.
- Guard Dog: This is a paid DLC but I think it’s worth it when it’s fully upgraded. It’s especially useful if you are reloading or calling in a stratagem, as it will fire without your command.
Those are basically all I use. The Trident shotgun weapon is really useful too. Still, I hate these strikes because they become so chaotic by the end of the round.Read More →